Blogs > Beachcombing

Beachcombing is New Haven Register columnist Randall Beach's rambling ruminations on the issues and characters of New Haven and other Connecticut towns, with occasional deviations across the state line.

Monday, March 09, 2009

See Jane Blog

I have a thing about Jane Fonda. I've enjoyed her movies for many years, even "Barbarella." I agree with most of her political stances, especially opposing the Vietnam War.
However, it's obvious she was foolish to pose next to a damaged American aircraft, smiling, alongside some North Vietnamese about 35 years ago. She admitted this long ago. That was just a little too much.
But as Fonda was preparing for her return to Broadway after being away for decades, to star in "33 Variations," some of those Vietnam veterans who can never forgive her were back at it, picketing the theater. They have every right to do it; I just think it's time to move on.
Anyway, I recently read in the New York Times that Fonda now has a blog. You can see it if you go to janefonda.com.
And so I splashed around in her blog for awhile. Her first posting, from Jan. 5, revealed her former husband, Ted Turner, is a Luddite who hates computers and never uses a cell phone.
She also talked about "Tulea, my little 8-pound soulmate." Tulea is her dog. I know about Tulea, having seen Fonda carry the critter into the room when she made an appearance at the Yale Bookstore a couple of years ago.
Fonda at age 71 --71! -- is still interesting. Sure, she's self-obsessed, but still fun to look at and fun to listen to.
Her blog is a bit much. Here's her lead from Feb. 17: "OMG! I kid you not and I twittered about it earlier, but no kidding, during curtain call Tulea escaped from her dog sitter and came out on stage."
Jane Fonda, you are not 14.
As a blogger myself, I try not to be too self-indulgent. I think Fonda has fallen into that trap. I wish she would go back to the tone of her first blog, which was insightful and interesting.
As for Fonda the woman and Fonda the actress, she will always be interesting, and fun to follow.

1 Comments:

Blogger lance aka lc said...

Interesting to a pinko commie maybe, oh that's right Beach, you are one. lol

6:55 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home