Blogs > Beachcombing

Beachcombing is New Haven Register columnist Randall Beach's rambling ruminations on the issues and characters of New Haven and other Connecticut towns, with occasional deviations across the state line.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Old (Brave) Pal

Anybody who pays attention to the pages of the New Haven Register is aware that my colleague and long-time pal, Ann DeMatteo, is amidst a gallant struggle with breast cancer.
I'll never forget the night at our office several months ago when Ann calmly told me about her diagnosis. I had no idea she was dealing with this. I tried to comfort her but Ann is a no-nonsense what-me-worry? type who didn't seem to need consoling. Her attitude was: I'm gonna beat this.
And she has maintained this spirit ever since then, even while undergoing chemotherapy and losing her hair. She laughs about her appearance. She keeps working. She seems undaunted.
Last week my wife and I took Ann and her boyfriend, Bob, out to dinner. We had been meaning to do this for years, but you know how that goes; it's the hurly-burly of modern life. Ann's cancer motivated us to seize the time and make it happen.
And the four of us had a great time. Sure, we talked a lot about the old days, when my wife, Ann and I worked together at the Register in the late 1970s and early '80s. We were wild and nutty and hit the bars and parties many nights after work (quite unlike today).
But beyond reminiscing, we talked about how she's coping and the treatments she faces down the road.
We were very impressed by her strength and courage. Not only has she not let this affect her work, but she told us, "I think I'm really on my game."
If you want some inspiration, take a look at this kid.
Go get 'em, Anno!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home