Blogs > Beachcombing

Beachcombing is New Haven Register columnist Randall Beach's rambling ruminations on the issues and characters of New Haven and other Connecticut towns, with occasional deviations across the state line.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Beachcombing blog is open and ready to roam...Yesterday, while bouncing around town I beheld the Angel of Peace sculpture which usually sits atop the East Rock Soldiers and Sailors Monument, but is now being restored -- on the New Haven Green.
Why do this on the Green? As was reported in today's New Haven Register, the idea is to let people eating lunch there or just passing through see the process in action.
I've had some issues with the Parks Department, but I applaud their move to restore this historic city gem.
There's something about this angel that has always gotten to me. Maybe it's the history, or my fondness for East Rock, or my approval of the peace message on a war statue. Years ago, whenever I glimpsed the angel from the highway or wherever, I began the habit of giving her the thumbs up sign. I miss having her up there.
And because I have this special affinity for this lady, I took advantage of the city's offer yesterday to stand in front of her for a free photo. When would I ever get another chance to pose with my lady?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would like to invite you to join a social networking site for sea glass enthusiasts this site is interesting to anyone who loves to beachcomb or loves the sea:

http://seaglassartists.ning.com/

Hope to see you there!

Lisl Armstrong

12:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home